Volunteer Experiences

South Poplar Traditional Elementary School

I had the privilege of volunteering at my very own elementary school, South Poplar Traditional Elementary School, to gain the experience and knowledge needed to apply for Bachelor of Education programs. I had the opportunity to volunteer with my grade 1 teacher in my grade 1 classroom. This experience was extremely beneficial as I was able to relate it to my own school experiences with this same teacher. This meaningful experience had taught me a great deal of information as I was able to work one on one with many of the students. I was also able to join them throughout their day in other classes such as PE. The grade 1 students were very welcoming and excited to have me in their classroom. They were eager to learn which was very motivating for me. It had me eager to learn more about this profession.

Abbotsford Recreation Centre

I had volunteered at a local recreation centre which had also turned into a part time job. This experience was very beneficial as I got to work with students from different grade levels in an after school program. Students from grades 2 – 5 would join me after school for a few hours. I would assist them on their homework, and we would collectively participate in learning activities. It was interesting to see the students contribute towards assisting one another in this program. It was nice to see the grade 5 students helping the students in younger grades. This volunteer/ work experience was different from the others as it was not in a classroom. It was also different because I was the leader of the program whereas in the classroom I would watch and observe the teacher and assist them when needed.

Clearbrook Elementary School (Summer School)

I had volunteered in a kindergarten classroom for summer school during 2019. This experience was one I enjoyed as it involved a diverse group of students to learn together during the summer. Observing kindergarten students and seeing how far they have come from the beginning of the year is a rewarding experience. I had students in my summer school classroom that I had worked with previously in a classroom setting. Having students from different elementary schools in the region now coming together to strengthen their learning experience and education was an insightful experience for me personally.